Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Dutch Memorial Day


The Dutch Kingdom pay tribute to all casualties of WWII in the Kingdom on May 4. The last years the scope of the remembrance has been broaden with other war victims and victims of terror. In Amsterdam there is also a ceremony at the Homomonument, to commemorate the homosexual victims of the Nazi regime during WWII and other LGBT victims of terror and violence. I have visited the ceremony a couple of years and it was very nice to be there yesterday together with friends I made during my black gay activist years in Amsterdam in the organisation Strange Fruit. My radio program colleague Antoine (whom I also met at Strange Fruit) presented a flower arrangement on behalf of our program Global Perspective and gaystation MVS. And a couple of us were there in his support and really enjoyed seeing each other again as a group, which hasn't occurred in a couple of years.
The pictures were taken by our British colleague and friend Ajamu

No comments: